The UPS Store Gives Tips on Shipping Your Favorite Treats
Kids not coming home for the holidays? Are you known for your famous, or shall we say infamous, fruitcake? Send a taste of home to loved ones by shipping your favorite holiday treat!
- Send items that will travel well – oatmeal, sugar or peanut butter cookies, brownies, molasses bars, biscotti, shortbread, dried fruit or snack mixes and hard candy are all good shipping candidates. Avoid items that can’t withstand heat or other extreme temperatures, such as chocolate or foods that require refrigeration.
- Use a coffee can or a potato chip canister as a cookie cutter and then use the same container to ship the cookies; they will stack perfectly and won't crumble.
- Seal all perishable items in an interior airtight container or plastic bag before packing them. Consider sending your treats via UPS Next Day Air® or other expedited shipping methods.
- Fill air gaps with squares of bubble cushioning to soften the vibration and prevent cookies or brownies from breaking.
- Make sure your gift recipients will be in town to receive their tasty treats. If no one is there to accept delivery of the package, it could sit on a porch or in a warehouse over the holidays. This is especially problematic for perishable items.
- With thousands of service members stationed overseas, many "tastes of home" will cross international borders for the holidays. To ensure your gift arrives, check the restrictions of the destination country. The UPS Store international shipping experts can help you identify a specific country's restrictions.