UPS Trade Direct Fact Sheet
Trade Direct Advantages
- Removes days from the supply chain
- Makes it less expensive to do business overseas
- Reduces inventory ownership time by up to 20 days
- Reduces handling
- Reduces dependency on fixed assets
- Reduces customs paperwork
- Eliminates issues with multiple carrier bills
- Respond to seasonal demand without having to overbuild distribution capacity
- Fewer management resources needed
- Reduces material handling costs
- Faster order-to-cash
UPS Trade Direct® is an integrated solution that allows shippers to bypass distribution centers by shipping directly to retail stores or customers’ doors. Leveraging the breadth and reliability of the UPS global network, Trade Direct consolidates international freight, air, ocean and ground transportation, customs clearance and direct delivery to multiple addresses within the destination country, all through a single source. Trade Direct’s capabilities span those of an integrated carriers and a freight forwarder.
How It Works:
UPS picks up or receives shipments; provides consolidation; transports the shipment to the destination country; provides customs clearance; deconsolidates into individual shipments; drops them into either the UPS package or less-than-truckload (LTL) network; and delivers them directly to shippers’ customers, bypassing warehouses and distribution centers.
- UPS Trade Direct® Air
Manages time-sensitive international air freight shipments from select airports in the U.S., Asia, Europe and the Americas. Shipments move seamlessly from the factory to end customers or retail stores, getting new and high-value products to market faster while reducing unnecessary handling and storage costs in the process.
- UPS Trade Direct® Cross Border
From pickup to delivery across the Mexico/U.S. and Canada/U.S. borders, UPS Trade Direct Cross Border consolidates international freight, air, ocean and ground transportation, customs clearance and direct delivery to multiple addresses within the destination country, all through a single source.
- UPS Trade Direct® Ocean
Provides a port-to-door and door-to-door delivery solution from ports in the U.S., Asia, Europe and the Americas. Based on purchase order allocation and distribution information, packages can be labeled and inserted directly into the UPS package delivery network following arrival and customs clearance in the destination country. Larger deliveries move by less-than-truckload (LTL) service.
Characteristics of Common Trade Direct Users:
- Custom-made products/mass customized Web orders
- Pre-sold promotional items
- Seasonal items with a short shelf-life
- Stock-out needing immediate replenishment
- Temperature and time-sensitive perishables
- New product launches/channels
- New market penetration
- Distribution center capacity limitations