UPS Worldport Expansion Project
Eight years after opening the most technologically advanced air package sorting hub in the world, UPS has completed a dramatic $1 billion expansion of WorldportSM that has increased sorting capacity by 37 percent to 416,000 packages per hour. Demand for additional hub capacity has been driven by long-term growth needs in the company’s international express shipping business.
The expansion plan for Worldport, the sophisticated mega hub at the heart of the company's global transportation network, has added two new aircraft load/unload "wings" to the hub and associated aircraft staging ramps.
The two-phased expansion project was completed ahead of schedule, under budget and with recognized programs for safety, labor, and minority contracting. The facility will continue to feature the latest in technology and state-of-the-art equipment. This technology allows packages to virtually sort themselves over 155 miles of conveyor belts in an average time of just 13 minutes.
|Size||1,200,000 SF||5,200,000 SF (footprint)|
|Sort capacity||46,000 PPH (Phase 1)
66,000 PPH (Phase 2)
71,000 PPH (Phase3)*
*not yet approved
|Number of conveyors||12,874||31,578|
|Miles of conveyors||51||155|
UPS Worldport Facts and Figures
- The expansion project is expected to cost just under $1 billion.
- The phased project was completed in April 2010, with the first operational phase opening in July 2009.
- The construction will increase Worldport’s footprint by 1.2 million square feet under roof to 5.2 million square feet or the equivalent of 90 football fields.
- Additional employment opportunities throughout the commonwealth will generate an economic impact well beyond the $600 million anticipated in construction costs.
- Continued support for the hugely successful Metropolitan College will play a major role in helping attract and maintain employees for the expanded hub.
- UPS's Supplier Diversity program has exceeded its commitment to award $48 million of the general construction contracts to minority- and women-owned businesses, awarding $113 million to MWBEs.
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.