UPS® (NYSE: UPS) today announced it is providing transportation support and commitments totaling $400,000 in gifts-in-kind (GIK) for urgent relief items to combat the deadly Ebola outbreak which has claimed the lives of more than 1,500 individuals in West Africa.
"UPS and The UPS Foundation are responding to the World Health Organization's plea for increased international response," said Eduardo Martinez, president of The UPS Foundation.
The company is providing the following transport services at no cost to relief agencies:
- Sponsored a Humanitarian Relief charter flight for UNICEF from Liege, Belgium, to Monrovia, Liberia, on August 29. The aircraft is carrying 55 metric tons of HTH dry chlorine disinfectant on behalf of the Liberian Ministry of Health to assist in hygiene activities at Ebola treatment centers in Liberia. More than 40 percent of the confirmed Ebola deaths have occurred in Liberia.
- Expedited the trucking of 10 pallets (6,800 lbs) of supplies for Medshare from Decatur, Ga., to New York's JFK Airport, to be placed on a humanitarian flight arranged by Airlink. UPS has also committed an additional $75,000 GIK to Medshare for ocean transport.
- Transported five pallets (2,500 lbs) of aid supplies for ChildFund from Tampa, Fla., to New York's JFK Airport to connect to a donated charter.
- Transported nine pallets (4,745 lbs) of Ebola supplies from Savage, Md., to New York's JFK Airport for the National Organization of Sierra Leoneans in North America (NOSLINA). These items were expedited to Sierra Leone on a donated charter.
- Committing to provide Africare & Direct Relief International transportation of five ocean shipments estimated at $30,000-$35,000.
- Collaborating with the CDC Foundation and UPS customer Henry Schein, which has committed to donate personal protection equipment to support the CDC's efforts.
UPS has a long history of working with disaster relief organizations to deliver critical, life-saving aid to communities in need around the world. In 2013, UPS provided US $7.5 million in humanitarian relief funding and assisted with 250 humanitarian shipments across 46 countries.
UPS (NYSE: UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including transporting packages and freight; facilitating international trade, and deploying advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Headquartered in Atlanta, UPS serves more than 220 countries and territories worldwide. UPS was awarded America’s Best Customer Service company for Shipping and Delivery services by Newsweek magazine; Forbes Most Valuable Brand in Transportation; and top rankings on the JUST 100 list for social responsibility, the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, and the Harris Poll Reputation Quotient, among other prestigious rankings and awards. The company can be found on the web at ups.com or pressroom.ups.com and its corporate blog can be found at longitudes.ups.com. The company’s sustainability eNewsletter, UPS Horizons, can be found at ups.com/sustainabilitynewsletter. To get UPS news direct, follow @UPS_News on Twitter. To ship with UPS, visit ups.com/ship.
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.