Contributes Immediate and Long-Term Assistance Through a Network of Public-Private Partnerships Designed to Assist With Wide Range of Needs
UPS (NYSE:UPS) today announced more than a $1 million commitment, through The UPS Foundation, in support of recovery efforts in the Caribbean, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, following the devastation caused by Hurricane Irma. The pledge is a combination of cash grants, in-kind transportation movements and technical expertise to provide urgent relief, as well as support for long-term needs ranging from rebuilding to personal and financial recovery assistance. This is in addition to the more than $1 million given toward Hurricane Harvey relief efforts on August 28.
“We’re seeing unprecedented need in the aftermath of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma,” said Eduardo Martinez, president of The UPS Foundation and chief diversity and inclusion officer. “UPS is working with its non-profit partners to get help to those who need it urgently. However, there will be much assistance required in the coming months to help rebuild these shattered communities into the resilient neighborhoods that once stood so we’re planning for that as well.”
The UPS Foundation is working with the American Red Cross, The International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC), The Salvation Army, and other humanitarian aid partners to provide immediate support and assess longer-term needs, committing additional funding and in-kind assistance for recovery needs that will be specified during the post-crisis recovery phase in the coming months.
When a disaster strikes, The UPS Foundation moves quickly to mobilize its disaster relief network in support of first responders and provides immediate
in-kind relief to assist with response and recovery efforts on multiple fronts of a disaster.
Immediately, The UPS Foundation is engaging with the following organizations, committing both cash and in-kind assistance:
- American Red Cross – $100,000 in cash and in-kind support, in addition to The UPS Foundation’s annual commitment to the Annual Disaster Giving Program that provides funding that enables the American Red Cross to open shelters immediately for Hurricane Irma survivors.
- International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC) - $50,000 for Caribbean recovery efforts.
- CARE - $75,000 in cash and in-kind support for recovery efforts in Caribbean.
- The Salvation Army - $100,000 in grant funding and in-kind support for hurricane relief efforts and technical support.
- Points of Light - $125,000 to mobilize volunteer efforts.
- Good360 - $50,000 in additional in-kind support for Hurricane Irma needs.
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster - $50,000 to assist member in-kind needs.
- SBP – An additional $75,000 in funding and in-kind support.
- Operation Hope – An additional $25,000 to provide financial counseling to disaster survivors to speed their recovery.
- Toolbank Disaster Services – UPS providing additional $10,000 to enable additional tools and support for Hurricane Irma clean up and rebuilding.
- British Red Cross - £10,000 contribution from Marken, a UPS company, to Irma Fund.
- Toys for Tots – $50,000 from The UPS Stores in support for families impacted by the hurricanes.
Additionally, the company has deployed several skilled volunteers with humanitarian logistics expertise to the Caribbean, Florida and Texas to help coordinate support with our partner agencies providing relief.
UPS and The UPS Foundation have a history of leveraging the company’s logistics expertise and moving quickly to assist in delivering humanitarian aid and relief efforts after natural disasters. In fact, providing humanitarian relief is an ongoing program. Last year, The UPS Foundation responded to 20 major world disasters and invested more than $13 million in funding, in-kind, and technical support for community safety initiatives that included enhancing urgent disaster response preparedness, response, and recovery. Also last year, The UPS Foundation provided in-kind support for 468 shipments of humanitarian aid and relief in 53 countries – almost $6 million worth of in-kind services.
About The UPS Foundation
UPS (NYSE: UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including the transportation of packages and freight; the facilitation of international trade, and the deployment of advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Since its founding in 1907, UPS has built a legacy as a caring and responsible corporate citizen, supporting programs that provide long-term solutions to community needs. Founded in 1951, The UPS Foundation leads its global citizenship programs and is responsible for facilitating community involvement to local, national, and global communities. In 2017, UPS and its employees, active and retired, invested more than $118 million in charitable giving around the world. The UPS Foundation can be found on the web at UPS.com/Foundation and @UPS_Foundation on Twitter. To get UPS news direct, follow @UPS_News on Twitter.
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.