- UPS Hong Kong team members participated in projects to help children, feed the hungry, and support those with disabilities in line with the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals
- UPS is now more than 80 percent toward achieving its global goal of 20 million community service hours by the end of 20201
This October, over 200 UPS (NYSE: UPS) employees in Hong Kong contributed more than 1,030 volunteer hours towards community efforts focused on improving the lives of children, feeding the hungry, and assisting those with disabilities across the city.
Part of UPS’s Global Volunteer Month held every October, the activities were designed to support the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a collection of 17 global targets set by the UN General Assembly in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
During Global Volunteer Month – spearheaded by The UPS Foundation, the company’s global philanthropic and corporate citizenship arm – UPS employees around the world, together with their families and friends, get together to volunteer in their communities. This year has seen an unprecedented level of engagement, with more than 26,000 UPSers completing over 2,000 community service events across five continents. In total, UPS employees devoted over 430,000 volunteer hours globally during that period alone.
In Hong Kong, UPS employees participated in the following community initiatives:
- Supported Fun Day with Children, organised by Harmony House, a shelter for abused women and their children. Fun Day is designed to provide a respite for children and their families through a day of joy, laughter and activities.
- Prepared nutritious hot meals for underprivileged communities using surplus food from different sectors of the food industry via Food Angel, a food rescue and assistance program under Bo Charity Foundation.
- Helped sort and pack food from different companies and charities in the warehouse of local food bank Feeding Hong Kong. This food was then distributed to feed the hungry and those living in poverty.
- Helped to harvest organic crops at New Life Farm of New Life Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association.
- Joined Hong Chi Association’s corporate volunteer program working with the intellectually disabled on service projects supporting social integration.
- Became Toys Reborn Engineers under YMCA Hong Kong’s program to help clean and repair old toys so that they can be delivered to children from low-income families.
- Visited elderly Hongkongers living alone as part of the Life Commitment Charity Club’s volunteer program.
“At UPS, we’ve always been committed to making a positive difference to the many global communities we serve, and we’re proud and humbled to be working with organisations doing such fantastic work to help people that really need it,“ said Lauren Zhao, Managing Director of UPS Hong Kong and Macau.
“We’re also very proud to say that, with every year that passes, more and more of our team members are taking part in these local charity initiatives. This helps us deliver on The UPS Foundation’s promise of building stronger, safer and more resilient communities around the world.”
Established in 1951, The UPS Foundation leads UPS’s global citizenship programs, including Global Volunteer Month every October. It increases the company’s focus on volunteerism and community service so that employees can continue to make a positive impact in their communities. Thanks to the increased participation in this year’s Global Volunteer Month, UPS is now more than 80 percent toward reaching its goal of volunteering 20 million hours of community service by the end of 2020.
For more information about The UPS Foundation and its philanthropy and volunteering efforts, please visit www.UPS.com/Foundation.
About The UPS Foundation
UPS (NYSE: UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including transporting packages and freight; facilitating international trade, and deploying advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Since its founding in 1907, UPS has built a legacy as a caring and responsible corporate citizen, supporting programs that provide long-term solutions to community needs. Founded in 1951, The UPS Foundation leads its global citizenship programs and is responsible for facilitating community involvement to local, national, and global communities. In 2018, UPS and its employees, active and retired, invested more than $114.9 million in charitable giving around the world. The UPS Foundation can be found on the web at UPS.com/Foundation and @UPS Foundation on Twitter. To get UPS news direct, follow @UPS_News on Twitter. The company’s sustainability eNewsletter, UPS Horizons, can be found at ups.com/sustainabilitynewsletter.
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.